Sunday, August 16, 2015

Ruminating on teaching the HSC...

I have taught HSC Standard English for several years and have been fortunate to mark Paper 1, Section III twice. I was excited and nervous to learn of the new prescriptions for 2015 – 2020 just when I was about to take Advanced English for the first time. It is now Week 6 of Term 3, which is Term 4 for the current Year 12, and I have almost worked through the first year of the new Prescriptions.

As a first time Advanced teacher (almost a year ago now) my principal was very supportive and allowed me to attend PL sessions to get acquainted with the Stage 6 Advanced syllabus and content, and learn approaches to the course. It has been a very busy year – deciding on texts, Electives for each Module, and programming resources for new Electives – and the old (all new to me!).
My marking kit...
AOS: Discovery Classroom Display


I purchased resources from Into English, the English Teachers Association, Barbara Stanners, Excel and from publishing houses – I was happy to pay for resources for another viewpoint, a different approach, teaching ideas, summaries and to ensure I didn’t miss anything with my programming. I have also picked up bits and pieces from teaching blogs, Pinterest, the English Teachers Association Facebook and our resident English tutor at school – all of which supplement my resources and will help me put together a revision program for the holidays before the HSC. All in all I am confident that I have provided enough for my students, I have poured myself into this year and hope that it pays off. I do wish that my students had spent more time revising and practising their writing during the year – but I think most HSC teachers would be thinking this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment