Sunday, August 16, 2015

WH Auden's 'Shield of Achilles'




Last term I attended one of Glen Pearsall's sessions on Module C: Representation and Text, Elective 1: Representing People and Politics. The session, provided by Teacher Training Australia (TTA), gave me so many great ideas that I was immediately struck by how much time I wanted to put into the unit, how much time I wanted to spend on each poem, how much I could do! 

I am not sure I have done the Module justice so far and I could honestly spend a year studying Auden but I thought I would share a few ideas that I think assisted students with their understanding of the poetry.

The first idea I utilised with ‘Shield of Achilles’ a beautiful poem about the horrors of war and the impact upon the people. This was one of the ideas from the TTA Workshop but you can find it, and many other great ideas in Glen Pearsall’s ‘The Literature Toolbox’ book. The ‘Instant Picture Book’ was an instant success with my students. They really engaged with the ideas in the poem and chose poignant moments from each stanza to illustrate. I decided I would also complete one as an example for those struggling, but also for myself – as this is the first time I have taught the poetry. Students sometimes dislike drawing in English class, I tell them that we are doing ‘English’ drawing, rather than ‘Art drawing’ and they need to focus on developing the symbols and ideas in their work. This usually works and helps them overcome their reluctance.

So far I have found that students are enjoying the ideas in the poetry and are making connections between the poems and the rubric requirements as well.  

I have no affiliation with TTA or Glen Pearsall - I am just thankful for their existence! I have attached a few links; to the TTA Module C course outline, the link to 'The Top 10 Strategic Questions for Teachers' - a free Glen Pearsall publication, and a link to other texts that I have found helpful.

TTA Course Outline:
http://tta.edu.au/products/1530/3219

Glen Pearsall's FREE eBook - available for TTA Members:
http://tta.edu.au/free-ebook

Publications from the Teacher Learning Network:
http://www.tln.org.au/tlnshop

















No comments:

Post a Comment