Monday, October 24, 2016

Project #2 Writing and all things about writing, the written word, vocabulary, spelling, etc. etc.

Writing is at the heart of English teaching. It can bring so much joy and satisfaction but for many, it invokes terror, dislike, and sometimes even hatred! The act of writing inspiring hatred!? It is quite frightening to think about. 

The lack of control students often feel in this area leads to disengagement and reluctance to partake in any activities to do with writing. I find this concerning and would like to try to address the reasons why students dislike writing. So, this is my second project on the go at the moment. Really, writing is something I have been thinking about for a long time as the whole process ultimately intrigues me. What makes someone a good writer? What constitutes good writing? How does someone become a good writer? Where does it come from? Can 'flair' be taught?

One of my Year 10 students told me the other day that her friends get her to check their important text messages or Facebook messages before they send them... teenagers get that it matters, clarity of expression, nuances in how one articulates as well as the connotation of words can have a particular impact, (just write: Father, Dad, Papa, and Daddy on your whiteboard as my colleague did and you will illustrate that point beautifully!) and I would like students to be able to vet their own messages!

Some readings I have been perusing:


Creative Writing...




No comments:

Post a Comment