Friday, February 14, 2020

Reflections on Week 1, Term 1, 2020

It has been a very busy start to the term. I knew it would be. I was prepared. I have set myself some limits. I am aware that all the things on my to do list will never be done at the end of the day and that is alright, because I am getting through them. I haven't procrastinated on many tasks. Though, I have run out of time in the school day to get things done. That is something I just cannot understand - the role of an executive staff is being available to staff but it is also a teaching role, I have 120 of my own students, and yet I also have the other 900 on my mind. In my periods off face-to-face teaching I have to meet with the principal to ask that the literacy initiative I am running can be copied out of a non-English budget, apologise profusely to the office manager because I didn't follow protocol for ordering textbooks because 20 copies weren't returned by the Standard English class last year and we are studying the play with the next cohort right now.

It has been a pressure pot of ordering stationery and equipment and consumables, like batteries, which run the clocks in our classrooms and remotes for the projectors. All of these small details that don't make a 'leader' but are crucial to the smooth running of a school day so it is leadership, I think, to be all over the small details, while not forgetting the big picture, and realising that I cannot work 15-hours a day. Trying to not panic about all the things that need doing, immediately, is quite a challenge.

Ensuring that my family has a routine is high on my priority list as well. We lasted a day. Our baby had an injection on Wednesday of Week 1, Term 1 and that was it. He was all over the place and so were we. Then we hit Saturday evening and my partner and I were struck down with food poisoning and I have been out of action for the past 30-hours. I feel like a wreck. I managed to prepare my own lessons and those of one of my staff in the moments I felt okay. Had a day off resting and catching up on things I couldn't do over the weekend. And now awaiting on a staff member to send through lessons for tomorrow as she is unwell too. It is wild. And untenable. And hats off to those who do this year in and year out. I am on the learning curve of a life time.

Keys really help, so does being on email mailing lists. So far I have been saved by caring colleagues, I am so very grateful to work with great people. I know though that every one thing I can't do for myself is something someone else has to add to their workload for the day. I have a different concept of time lately, I am keenly aware of whom I am taking time from if I am not doing what I am meant to be doing, if something isn't working that should be working, inefficiencies make me really cross, in a way they didn't before. Now, if my work computer isn't functioning I know that is more time I will have to spend working at home, or after school, more time that my child will be in the company of people who are paid to look after him. And that breaks my heart a little, each and every day.

I must say that it definitely isn't all doom and gloom though. I have opportunities to mentor and support early career teachers. I am getting things done. I have made a few small but deliberate changes in line with a greater vision and the staff working with me on this, seem excited. I have another 3-days this week to get all finance/purchasing stuff done,  clean and unpack my classroom,  book PDP meetings with staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment