Sunday, January 5, 2020

Preparing for 2020

I have just lost 3-hours. I swear it was 9.23pm like, 20-minutes ago?!

I have had a productive evening really - backing up my phone, making dinner, getting baby to sleep, and then the rest of the night has been spent moving files from Google Drive to a Teams Drive in Office365. A wonderful colleague very recently began a Google Drive to consolidate faculty resources and while this brave new world is in its early stages I am going to make the faculty leap over to Office365 instead. This may seem a little bizarre but I have very good reasons and I am sure that some time will be saved once it is up and running. A little context for this decision - I went into corporate 3-years ago as an avid Google Drive user but just before I arrived to the team they had begun the process of moving to Office365. Within days I was wowed by the functionality and haven't looked back. I love being able to access Word online and then work from the desktop in the full version of Word when editing and creating documents. With the advent of Teams as well, I just cannot think of a better way to store resources and open up a channel for communication online. Sorry Google Drive, I do think you are a fabulous tool but just not quite right for this purpose.

I am currently waiting for a few files to download and in my world of contradictions I am taking notes in my hardcopy bullet journal and downloading files to upload them on a different platform. I once did a left brain/right brain test and landed smack in the middle of the two - the online platform possibly appeals to my sense of order and the paper and pen appeals to my need for a creative outlet (this is probably all made up but it sounded interesting at the time and I have always remembered the results because I felt a little odd not having a dominant preference like the rest of the staff!).

It is good to slowly get back into the swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment