Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Reflections on Week 8, Term 1, 2020

This week Covid19 has moved onto the radar in a more insidious manner. We are no longer laughing at the lack of toilet paper in the supermarket aisles but have seen canned goods, pasta and sauce, pain relief medication for children and adults, flour, sugar, and tissues become depleted. There are gaps everywhere and we, who have lived all our lives with constant availability, have never seen such a thing before. Supermarkets have begun to limit the purchase of toilet paper, tissues, long life food items to ensure customers are not missing out on the necessities.

At school the kids are starting to drop off. Attendance is usually fairly consistent but there are empty chairs appearing in our classrooms and teachers on social media are speaking about readying resources to provide to students. Sport has been cancelled. Things are starting to get a bit spooky.

I went to the doctor with my partner and baby on Friday and I had a slightly running nose. The receptionist nearly threw me out of the practice. She shoved a mask at me and handed me the hand sanitiser. I learned, once we got in for our appointment, that if the doctor fell ill for even a cold she would have to immediately take three days off work. She apologised for the mask. I wore the mask on and off over the weekend to avoid spreading my cold to baby - you can't buy them anywhere so it seemed smart to use it.

Everything feels difficult at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment